Tuesday, February 2, 2016

The Other Side of the Hospital Bed

I've been a nurse for almost 9 years. Ive done MedSurg, hospital pediatrics, office pediatrics, home pediatrics,  and home hospice.  Now, I am a family nurse practitioner.

I've always been on the professional side of the hospital bed (aside from 3 routine labor/delivery /postpartum visits).  But today, I'm writing this from the other side of the hospital bed.

As I lay in the hospital bed holding my 21 month old boy, I'm experiencing a much different side of medicine.  This sweet boy in my arms (who just fell asleep while watching Elmo) has had a rough few days. A wound on his head turned into an abscess and treatment at home was not cutting it. He was admitted yesterday for IV antibiotics and was taken to the OR for an  I&D (incision and drainage) of his abscess. He is doing great, really!  Handling it like a champ. Of course he has his moments. He doesn't like being held down and the large dressing on his arm (where they are hiding the IV) annoys him at times. He is tired and in a strange place and people keep poking and proding but overall he's great.

The nurses and doctors have been wonderful- very concerned and attentive and professional. It's hard, though, being on this side. My medical knowledge (for the most part) has been thrown aside and I am just a concerned mommy. Worried. Sad. Skeptical. Concerned.  This is my baby. My whole heart.

May we in the medical field never forget about this other side of the hospital bed! I pride myself in being a caring and compassionate nurse/NP. We all have bad days and busy days but may we always remember that we are caring for someone's most valuable treasures- whether it's their baby, their mama, their spouse. Whether the family or patient has medical knowledge or not. Remember that this is a scary time, an unfamiliar time, an uncertain time. I think usually nurses are good at this....but it never hurts to be reminded. I guess this experience is a good reminder for me!



2 comments:

  1. Those pictures about made me cry! So thankful for all the wonderful nurses and others in the medical field who serve us and our families when we're sick or hurt or having babies or surgeries... especially my most wonderful NP!! Praying for y'all lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is true we can't forget how precious our patients are to someone. To handle each one with the same care we would want. Praying he gets well soon and able to go home.

    ReplyDelete